On The Cult Cast:
iPhone 8 reviews are in! We’ll tell you what everyone loves Apple’s newest phone, and why you should get one (but probably won’t). Plus: we round up the reviews for Apple Watch series 3, and argue over which model is best. And stick around for what we don’t like about iPhone X; Apple’s A11 chip hits a surprising benchmark; tests show iPhone 8 wireless charging is abysmally slow; Apple quietly hikes their iDevice prices; and we’ll tell you all the best AR apps you need to try.
This episode supported by:
- Build a beautiful, responsive website quick at Squarespace.com. Enter offer code CultCast at checkout to get 10% off. Squarespace—Build it Beautiful.
- CultCloth will keep your iPhone 7, Apple Watch, Mac and iPad sparkling clean, and for a limited time you can use code CULTCAST to score a free CleanCloth with any order at CultCloth.co.
- Check out the Cult of Mac Watch store for a curated selection of our favorite straps, all available for prices far less than you’d expect. Save 20% off any order with code CultCast at checkout.
- We also want to give Kevin MacLeod at Incompetech.com a thanks for the great music you hear on today’s show.
On the show this week:
The BEST subreddit you are going to read, ALL week long! thecultcast.reddit.com
Notes and Links:
- For the first time since the launch of the iPhone in 2007, the company’s latest models failed to immediately sell out.
- More than 12 hours after pre-orders opened this morning, the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus remain generally available for pickup at Apple stores next Friday,
- Shipping time is currently 3 business days
- When the new biometric security features makes its debut this November, it will support just one user, Apple has confirmed. If anyone else uses your device, they’ll have to enter the passcode.
- Changes made to the online Apple store show that the 10.5-inch iPad Pro models with WiFi only are now $50 more expensive each. Before yesterday’s keynote, the 256GB and 512GB units cost $749 and $949. Now they’re priced at $799 and $999.
- iPhone prices have also been hiked up.
- The cellular models for the 10.5-inch iPad Pro also got a price increase
- Nothing has changed about the products.
- iPhone prices have also been hiked
- iPhone 7 32GB - $649
- iPhone 7 Plus 32GB - $769
- iPhone 8 64GB - $699
- iPhone 8 Plus 64GB - $799
- Apple’s new Wireless Charging Case for AirPods will go on sale this December, according to a report out of Europe, which sites Apple Switzerland. The device is expected to cost $69, which is the same amount you’ll pay to replace a standard case if you lose it.
- Apple reportedly has no plans to sell AirPods with the Wireless Charging Case, so it will be available as an optional accessory.