On The Cult Cast:
- Two weeks with the X. We’ll tell you what we like and what still sucks.
- Some very exciting new rumors about the next international of iPhone X
- Two big features coming you to in iOS 11.2 which is now in its 3rd beta
- What we tell you what we like and don’t about our favorite gadgets in a all-new under review 🤜🏼💥🤛🏼
This episode supported by:
- Casper’s American-made mattresses have just the right amount of memory foam and latex, and people everywhere love them. Learn why and get $50 towards any mattress at Casper.com/cultcast.
- Learn all you want for free with 30-day trial to LinkedIn Learning by visiting linkedin.com/cultcast.
- CultCloth will keep your iPhone 8/X, Apple Watch, Mac and iPad sparkling clean, and for a limited time you can use code CULTCAST to score a free CleanCloth with any order at CultCloth.co.
- The Cult of Mac Watch Store has the best straps in the biz! Save 20% off any order with code CultCast at checkout.
- We also want to give Kevin MacLeod at Incompetech.com a thanks for the great music you hear on today’s show.
On the show this week:
The BEST subreddit you are going to read, ALL week long! thecultcast.reddit.com
Notes and Links:
Apple may launch 6.5-inch iPhone X Plus in 2018
- One of the most reliable Apple analysts in the game is predicting big things for the iPhone X design in 2018.
- According to KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, Apple will release an iPhone X Plus next year with the biggest smartphone screen the company has ever made.
- Kuo says Apple will release three iPhones in 2018 with a notch design. There will supposedly be a 5.8-inch (updated X) and a 6.5-inch model, both with OLED displays.
- The third iPhone will supposedly have a 6.1-inch LCD display but come with the same bezel-free design as the iPhone X.
- The 6.5-inch iPhone X Plus will have a display with 480 to 500 pixels per inch, possibly making it more pixel dense than the iPhone X. The 6.1-inch LCD version will only have a display with 320 to 330 PPI.
iPhone will get rear-facing 3D sensors in 2019
- According to a Bloomberg, Apple is working on a new rear-mounted “3D sensor” for its 2019 iPhone, which will help further the company’s augmented reality ambitions.
- The new system will work using lasers and measuring the amount of time it takes for them to bounce back to create a depth map. This is reportedly different to the TrueDepth sensor system used on the front of the iPhone X, which uses a pattern of 30,000 laser dots to measure depth information for features like Face ID.
Two big features coming to your iPhone 8 and X with the release of iOS 11.2
- Apple Pay cash, which will work on the iPad.
- Apple has added support for faster 7.5W wireless charging in its latest iOS 11.2 beta. iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X all support the increased charging speed. You’ll need a compatible wireless charging mat to take advantage of it, however.
2018 iPad Pro could get 8-core A11X Bionic chip
- Apple supposedly plans to slap an octa-core processor in next year’s iPad Pro, making them the most powerful tablets Apple’s ever made.
- For the iPhone X and iPhone 8, Apple created the A11 Bionic chip that comes with two high-performance cores and four high-efficiency cores.
- This is the same chip that is currently faster than the chips in 2012 iMacs and my 2013 MacBook Pro.
- My machine is 33% in multicore tests, but image if they add another 2 high performance cores to the iPad.
Juuk Watch Bands
Patagonia Micropuff Jacket