Photo: Ste Smith/Cult of Mac
On The Cult Cast:
- iPhone 8 is getting a huge makeover with edge-to-edge screen, wireless charging, huge battery, and more. We’ll fill you in.
- End of the Home Button and Touch ID.
- The riches you’d have if you bought Apple IPO stock
- A 4K Apple TV is on the way
- The best 4K televisions
- TV of yore you need to watch
- The search for the perfect corn dog
- Join us for a live CultCast on Friday, February 24 at 12PM Pacific Time! Tune in at Live.TheCultCast.Com
This episode supported by:
The Cult of Mac store! Cult of Mac has curated and culled the best Apple Watch straps around and is making them available at great prices. Check them out at store.cultofmac.com.
CultCloth will keep your iPhone 7, Apple Watch, Mac and iPad sparkling clean, and for a limited time you can use code CULTCAST to score a free CleanCloth with any order at CultCloth.co.
We also want to give Kevin MacLeod at incompetech.com a thanks for the great music you hear on today’s show.
On the show this week:
Got suggestions or feedback for us? Air your thoughts at thecultcast.reddit.com
Notes and Links:
- The new Apple TV will be capable of streaming 4K content and more vivid colors.
- Thanks to an improved rating from Wall Street investment firm Goldman Sachs, Apple shares have been on the rise this week. Today shares were trading above the previous intra-day record high of $134.54 set on April 28, 2015.
- IPO December 12, 1980 at $22 a share.
- 100 shares would have cost you $2200
- Since the IPO, the stock has split four times, including three 2-for-1 splits and one 7-for-1 split
- Your 100 shares would have multiples to 5600 shares.
- You initial $2200 investment would now be worth 759,136.
- By comparison, a $2,200 investment in the S&P 500 in the same time would have netted you about $79,000
- If you had invested 10k, you’d now how have $3,446,477.44
- Apple reportedly plans to pack a much bigger battery inside the new 4.7-inch iPhone set to be revealed later this year.
- The 2017 iPhone will feature a 5.8-inch display OLED display panel with 5.15 inches of usable screen space according to new predictions shared by KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. Kuo believes the iPhone 8 will use a, but that some space will be reserved for virtual buttons.
- The display will reportedly take up the entire front of the iPhone, eliminating the bezels.
- Kuo says the OLED iPhone will have measurements similar to the 4.7-inch iPhone.
- Apple expected to introduce a stacked logic board design to support bigger batteries, and will feature a battery capacity similar to the larger 5.5-inch iPhone 7 Plus.
- Kuo expects the OLED iPhone to cost in excess of $1,000
- The OLED iPhone will be “the only bright spot” in the 2017 iPhone lineup, which may mean that the other phones will receive only minor improvements.
- Mac Otakara recently reported that the 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch models will retain an aluminum design like the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, with only internal changes
- Apple has been added to the Wireless Power Consortium, a group dedicated to developing and promoting mass-market adoption of the wireless charging interface standard Qi.
- This would also seem to suggest that Apple will adopt the standard Qi wireless technology, as opposed to inventing its own charging pad-free alternative, as has been heavily rumored.
Get to know ur cultist - the segment where we learn more about each other than we’d like to