With iPhone XR finally here, we’ll tell you 10 reasons why it’s the best iPhone you can get. Plus: how iOS 12.1 solves beautygate; new Macs leak ahead of Apple’s big October hardware event; Ming Chi Kuo says new iPad Minis, AirPods, and the AirPower mat are on the way; and we wrap up with our favorite new gadgets in an all-new Under Review 💪🏼
This episode supported by:
- The National Security Agency plays a big part in protecting our country from cyber-attacks, and if you work in computer science, networking, programming or electrical engineering, YOU can help keep our country safe. Learn more about careers at the National Security Agency today at IntelligenceCareers.gov/NSA
- CultCloth will keep your iPhone Xs/Xr, Apple Watch, Mac and iPad sparkling clean, and for a limited time use code CULTCAST at checkout to score a free CleanCloth with any order at CultCloth.co.
- The Cult of Mac Watch Store has the best straps in the biz!
- We also want to give Kevin MacLeod at Incompetech.com a thanks for the great music you hear on today’s show.
Come say hellooooo!
The BEST subreddit you are going to read, ALL week long! thecultcast.reddit.com
Notes and Links:
- You may remember that people were complaining that the iPhone XS/MAX cam were making them look too good. Ugly people everywhere were very offended and prefer to remain ugly in their photos.
- Issue was causing people to have “unnaturally” smooth skin times and reduces blemishes. Sometimes it did look unatural, but that’s always what HDR has done.
- Nilay Patel spoke to Apple about the problem and here’s what they told him the issue was actually a bug
- “iOS 12.1 will fix a bug in its Smart HDR camera system that resulted in smoother-looking photos taken by the front camera on the iPhone XS and XR,”
- What causes the Beautygate issue, Patel explains, is the Smart HDR system choosing the wrong base frame for HDR processing when a selfie is snapped. Rather than choosing a frame with a short shutter speed to preserve detail, it is choosing a frame with a longer shutter speed. “This should all be fixed in iOS 12.1, which will pick the sharpest base frame for the HDR merge when taking selfies,”
- The Eurasian Economic Competition database may have just confirmed more than one Mac will be unveiled at Apple’s upcoming more in the making hardware event
- The online database has been updated with three new filings for desktop computers running macOS 10.14. These most likely refer to rumored upgrades of the iMac, Mac mini, and the new lower cost MacBook Air replacement Ming Chi Kuo has been talking about for the last 6 months.
[The iPad mini might not be dead after all}(https://www.cultofmac.com/584918/the-ipad-mini-might-not-be-dead-after-all/)
- The iPad mini hasn’t been updated since March 2017, but TFI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo told investors today that an iPad Mini is in the works, though he doesn’t think it’ll launch on Oct. 30th.
- He thinks AirPods could get updated during Q4 this year or during Q1 of next year, and claim AirPower could finally come out during the same period.
- If you haven’t already pre-ordered an iPhone XR, the only way to get one on its release date is to head to a nearby Apple Store and hope they have one in stock.
- Pre-orders are now shipping around Nov 7th.