The Wall Street Journal leaks details about iPhone 11; Apple's new Smart Cases come with wireless charging; Nike unveils the self-lacing Back-To-The-Future shoes you’ve always wanted; and we pitch you our favorite apps, movies, cook books, and exotic alcohols in an all-new What We’re Into!
This episode supported by:
- Opsgenie empowers Dev & Ops teams to plan for service disruptions and stay in control during incidents. It also gives teams the power to respond quickly and efficiently to unplanned issues. Visit Opsgenie.com to sign up to get a FREE company account and add up to 5 team members.
- Burrow sofas are designed for comfort, with supportive proprietary foam and a built-in USB charger so you never have to get up. Plus they're hand-crafted in North Carolina, and surprisingly affordable. Get $75 on your next sofa at burrow.com/cultcast.
- CultCloth will keep your iPhone Xs/Xr, Apple Watch, Mac and iPad sparkling clean, and for a limited time use code CULTCAST at checkout to score a free CleanCloth with any order at CultCloth.co.
- The Cult of Mac Watch Store has the best straps in the biz!
- We also want to give Kevin MacLeod at Incompetech.com a thanks for the great music you hear on today’s show.
Come say hellooooo!
The BEST subreddit you are going to read, ALL week long! thecultcast.reddit.com
Help team CultCast reunite in San Fransisco for a Mecca to Cupertino, and a special CultCast United episode. And we might just bring you with us….
Notes and Links:
- The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Apple’s iPhone 2019 lineup will feature three models, including 2 OLED and 1 LCD. They’re basically just upgrading the XS, Tennis Match, and XR.
- But get this, the high-end iPhone 11, probably called the iPhone 11 Max, will feature a triple rear camera system. Triple!
- The iPhone 5.8-inch iPhone 11 will stick with a dual lens system.
- The successor to the iPhone XR will have an LCD screen panel, and will be upgraded to a dual-camera system.
- The report says that Apple may drop the LCD option in 2020, moving to an OLED only lineup late next year. It also alludes to the removal of the pressure sensitive component that enables 3D Touch, in order to reduce components costs. It doesn’t say that 3D Touch is certainly going away necessarily as the feature may be achieved through other hardware changes.
- Apple’s new Smart Battery Cases are now available iPhone XS, XS Max and XR
- Along with adding some extra protection to your device, Apple’s new cases promise to deliver 37 hours more hours of talk time, Internet use up to 20 hours
- The cases also support wireless charging.
- Only cost a mere $129!
- And it seems that the XS case will work with the iPhone X, but it does block some of the mics and speakers since it’s not made to fit the X
- The back to the future shoes you’ve always wanted are finally a reality.
- Nike’s new Adapt BB self-lacing shoes pack wireless connectivity, and a custom motor and gear train, to give athletes a perfect fit without having to fuss with retying their laces.
- The Adapt BB shoes can be tightened and loosened using the buttons on the side of the shoe or via an app (both iOS and Android). This could be really valuable to basketball players, whose feet can expand half a size during the rigors of a game.
- Getting a taste of the future won’t come cheap. Nike will charge $350 for a pair of Adapt BBs when they launch next month.
- Netflix has confirmed another price hike for subscribers in the United States — its biggest increase since it launched 12 years ago.
- The most affordable Netflix plan, which was priced at $8 a month, now costs $9 a month. The most popular plan has risen from $11 a month to $13 a month. The premium plan that offers 4K content is has gone from $14 a month to $16 a month.
- The new prices will be applied to new Netflix subscribers immediately, while existing customers will see the increase during the next three months
- It costs a lot of money to make that content. Netflix spent a staggering $3 billion last year, and expects to do so again in 2019. In an effort to cut down on its borrowing, it will charge more for its service.
Our Under Review Picks
Tik Tok is the wild west of social media
- Variety reports that Danny Glover is joining the cast of the Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle sequel in a role that is being kept under wraps, much like the still-secret storyline.
- Charcutería: The Soul of Spain
- This news is on the heels that Danny Devito is onboard
- The original cast, director, and script writers are also all on board
- The movie will be directed by Jason Reitman, who is the filmmaker son of Ivan Reitman, who directed and produced the original 1984 comedic hit "Ghostbusters" with Dan Aykroyd, Bill Murray and Harold Ramis.
- In an interview with EW.com, Reitman said he would divert from director Paul Feig's 2016 reboot of "Ghostbusters" that featured an all-women cast that included Melissa McCarthy, Kate McKinnon, Kristen Wiig and Leslie Jones. Reitman will go back to the original universe his father created in the present day story.
- The movie is expected to release in 2020, and we don’t yet know if any of the original cast will be involved.