Apple may be prepping the Mac Pro for its big reveal... don’t miss our WWDC 2019 hardware expectations! Plus: the pros and cons of the 2019 MacBook Pro... we discuss. And did you know all the best Get a Mac ads never actually aired? We’ll tell you the odd reason why... All that and SO MUCH MORE.
This episode supported by:
- It is hackable? From laptops and webcams to drones, virtual-reality headsets, and smart plugs, that's the question the Hackable podcast asks every single week, and no gadget is safe. Check out new episodes on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or wherever you listen to podcasts.
- The NETGEAR Nighthawk WiFi 6 router gives you ultra-fast speeds and wider coverage throughout your home – it’s the biggest revolution in WiFi ever. Check it out today at Netgear.com/wifi6.
- CultCloth will keep your iPhone Xs/Xr, Apple Watch, Mac and iPad sparkling clean, and for a limited time use code CULTCAST at checkout to score a free CleanCloth with any order at CultCloth.co.
- The Cult of Mac Watch Store has the best straps in the biz!
- We also want to give Kevin MacLeod at Incompetech.com a thanks for the great music you hear on today’s show.
Come say hellooooo!
The BEST subreddit you are going to read, ALL week long! thecultcast.reddit.com
Notes and Links:
- The top-tier new MacBook Pro employs a Intel 9th-generation Core i9 processor, which just debuted. It’s clocked at 2.4GHz with Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz. This is Apple’s first 8-core laptop, and the promotional materials promises “40 percent more performance than a 6-core MacBook Pro.”
- Geekbench benchmark scores are now confirming that this macOS laptop is around 30 percent speedier depending the the tests look at.
- The multi-core score for this device is around 29180. Last year’s speediest 6-core version of the MacBook Pro topped out at 22620, indicating that its predecessor is 29 percent faster.
- The single-core score for the new model is around 5900, up from about 5350 in the 2018 version. That’s almost a 10% improvement.
- One YouTuber reported the new MacBook Pro is beating his base iMac Pro in some tests!
- Keyboard seems largely the same, though iFixit has confirmed Apple has changed some of the material used in the dome switch mechanism and keyboard condom.
- Justin Long was recently on a episode of People Magazine’s TV show called Couch Surfing reciting why all the best Get a Mac ads never aired.
- Though 66 ads aired, apparently they filmed over 300!
- According to Long, it was Steve Jobs who kept the best ads off the air because they were just too funny.
- “One, in particular, I remember Zach Galifianakis played a drunken Santa Claus and I was dying to see this one,” Long said on the episode, which aired on Sunday. “Basically, Steve Jobs preferred when they weren’t super funny. It’s because he thought that would detract from the point of the commercial. He thought if people were too focused on humor, they would lose sight of the product.”
- But the commercials worked!
- Apple experienced a sales increase of 200,000 Macs after the first month of the campaign in May 2006. By July, Apple sold 1.3 million and at the end of the fiscal year, there was a 39 percent increase from the previous year’s Mac sales