We knew it was coming, but now it’s official, Jony Ive is leaving Apple. Plus: 16-inch MacBook Pro could arrive sooner than you think; Apple just poached one of the world’s premiere ARM CPU architects; and we’ll tell you about the huge Apple scam going around that you need to watch out for!
This episode supported by:
- Easily create a beautiful website all by yourself, at Squarespace.com/cultcast. Use offer code CultCast at checkout to get 10% off your first purchase of a website or domain.
- The NETGEAR Nighthawk WiFi 6 router gives you ultra-fast speeds and wider coverage throughout your home – it’s the biggest revolution in WiFi ever. Check it out today at Netgear.com/wifi6.
- CultCloth will keep your iPhone Xs/Xr, Apple Watch, Mac and iPad sparkling clean, and for a limited time use code CULTCAST at checkout to score a free CleanCloth with any order at CultCloth.co.
- The Cult of Mac Watch Store has the best straps in the biz!
- We also want to give Kevin MacLeod at Incompetech.com a thanks for the great music you hear on today’s show.
Come say hellooooo!
The BEST subreddit you are going to read, ALL week long! thecultcast.reddit.com
Notes and Links:
- Apple long-time design boss Jony Ive revealed today in an interview that he is leaving the company. After helping create some of the most iconic consumer products of all-time for Apple, Ive says he is going to strike out on his to create a new creative business called LoveFrom.
- “After nearly 30 years and countless projects, I am most proud of the lasting work we have done to create a design team, process and culture at Apple that is without peer. Today it is stronger, more vibrant and more talented than at any point in Apple’s history,”
- Instead of naming a new head of design that reports to Cook, Apple’s two design leaders — Evans Hankey and Alan Dye — will report to COO Jeff Williams.
- A new 16-inch MacBook Pro is coming this fall, according to analysts at IHS Markit.
- They claim that Apple will unleash the new laptop at the company’s September media event, alongside the new iPhone.
- The new laptop will supposedly include a 3072 × 1920 resolution, up from the 2880 × 1800 display in Apple’s 15-inch MacBook Pro
- It will continue using an LCD display, rather than switching to OLED.
- One of the top CPU architects in the world has joined Apple’s chip team.
- Mike Filippo, who created some of ARMs most impressive CPUs over the last few years, was hired last month by Apple, signifying the company could be gearing up to switch to ARM CPUs on the Mac.
- Filippo spent 5 years at Intel. 8 Years at AMD. Then 10 years at ARM as the lead architect creating the chips that have been competing with Apple’s.
- Apple is now warning customers up front that iTunes gift cards, in fact, cannot be used to pay taxes as number of fraud calls ramp up.